Why am I doing this? No, seriously, why?

Finding dragons, hunting for Narnia portals (I have a wardrobe, you see), and walking the streets of an old and beautiful city might be reason enough, but I am here to get a degree as well! I am studying Celtic Literature at the University of Edinburgh for the next year. As per the request of concerned friends left behind, I am going to try blogging about my experiences. Let's see what happens...

30 October 2011

Eating Sushi Awkwardly

 A visit on Saturday evening to Lluvia's, Karen's, and Kana's flat involved a fabulous mix of cultural traditions and treats.  Karen took it upon herself to carve a pumpkin in celebration of Halloween.  His gaze is intense...  What is he looking at?  Well...




 Perhaps he was watching Lluvia make her mother's Spanish tortilla recipe (which, by the way, was her very first attempt and turned out wonderfully!)

Or maybe he was staring at the plate of sushi that Kana had just made and wondering if anyone would realize that pumpkins have feelings too and that he might like to try some.

Unfortunately for the jack o' lantern, he had no such good luck.

The rest of us, however, were able to enjoy the sushi to our hearts' content.  Those of you who know my inherent pickiness will know that I have never eaten sushi before, so you will be amazed to learn that I did, in fact, eat it on Saturday night.  Be proud.  Be very proud.

The great thing about eating sushi is that the pictures can be so delightfully awkward.  Observe:
 Here, Margaret consumes sushi while giving me an exasperated look.  It is impossible to stop nomming the sushi once you have started, so she was trapped while I was able to take a shot.
 But why take one picture when you can take two?  At least she's laughing now...
 Because I believe in photography fairness, I let Margaret take the camera to get an awkward sushi consuming photo of me (plus, I knew that some of you would never believe I ate it unless you had photo evidence).  Margaret took to her role enthusiastically and there is essentially a play by play of the process.
 Dipping sushi in soy sauce...



Me looking at her in confusion and wondering why she's already taking pictures when the sushi is nowhere near my mouth yet...


She kept taking pictures, so I was laughing too hard to actually take the bite...



Okay, take a picture of me showing off my sushi.  Is this awkward enough?  No?  You need more?  Okay, here it goes...




The awkward eating sushi picture...



The sushi refused to be eaten, allowing multiple awkward eating sushi pictures... I feel like the revenge was more satisfying than it should have been for Margaret... just saying...


Still trying to take the darn bite of sushi.  It started to fall apart, I started to laugh, and let's just say things were a bit messy.  But the sushi was consumed and the awkwardness is now preserved for generations to come.  I love camears.

 Walking back home after our satisfying night of pumpkin, sushi, tortillas, and much laughter, we passed, as usual, by the statue of Greyfriar's Bobby, the little dog whose adorable legend inspired a statue, a pub, and several small shops, as well as a movie and books.  He's one famous little Scottie dog.

Normally, we just pass on by, a little annoyed by tourists who insist on taking up the whole sidewalk to take pictures of Bobby.  But that night, we had to stop.

That night, someone had dressed up Bobby for Halloween in a little tasseled cap.

That night, his cuteness was overwhelming.
 It makes you wonder if someone bought the cap deliberately for Bobby or if they just happened to pass by and think that he looked chilly and sad to be left out of all of the costume craziness going on around him.

Either way, someone had good taste in cuteness.  How could you not stop and get in everybody's way on the sidewalk to get a photo of this cute little guy in his little hat?

We were unapologetically touristy that night.
I do hope Bobby's hat lasts for a while.  People leave him dog biscuits all the time, but I've never seen him dressed up and looking so dashing and precious. 

He's all ready for Halloween tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment